8/30/09

Acting II Summer Homework

I just realized that I never put this letter on here, so I figured it was better late than never. :) We received it from Acting Professoressa on April 21, 2009.

Dear First-Year Students,

Congratulations on completing your first year of training. I know it hasn't always been easy. You have a lot to be proud of.

As you know, the second year focuses on the classics. Here's what you will need to have when you come back to [town].

1.
Actions, The Actors' Thesaurus, but Marina Calderone & Maggie Lloyd-Williams, Nick Hern Books, London (http://www.nickhernbooks.co.uk)

2. A copy of the complete works of Shakespeare, Riverside Edition. These regularly turn up second-hand, in used book stores or online, for far less the rather steep price of a new copy.

3. A Shakespeare glossary. The one-volume version by C.T. Onions is fine. For more depth, you may wish to invest in the two-volume edition by Alexander Schmidt.

4.
Playing Shakespeare by John Barton.

5.
The Greeks, translated by Kenneth Cavender. This script is out of print. You will need to get a photo-copy made from my master. I will ask that one of your reps see me and take on the responsibility of organizing this effort. Please come to first class next fall having read this text.

6.
Mythology by Edith Hamilton. Used paperback editions of this text are widely available. Please comt to first class next fall having read...

- Chapter 13: The Trojan War (Part Four: The Heroes of the Trojan War)
- Chapter 14: The Fall of Troy (Part Four: The Heroes of the Trojan War)
- Chapter 17: The House of Atreus (Part Five: The Great Families of Mythology)
- Chapter 18: Agamemnon and His Children (Part Five: The Great Families of Mythology)


I'm very much looking forward to our work together next year. You have my best wishes for a happy summer. With affection,

[Acting Professoressa]

1 comment:

Aileen said...

I love my copy of "Actions" and "Playing Shakespeare" too!