8/21/09

Friday, August 21

Well, I'm officially back in Florida. Orientation is Monday, and classes for my second year of grad school (the "F" in "MFA") begin on Tuesday. So weird!

Before the summer began, I had a few pieces of advice that I knew I wanted to follow:
- Analysis Professor said that actors should read 3-4 plays per week.
- Movement Professor said that actors should try to watch a movie every day.
- Acting I Professor said that actors should always be reading. (And he seemed pretty shocked that I'd never read any Dostoyevsky... I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually)

I knew that, realistically, I wasn't going to do all of the above over my summer break, but I did want to make a conscious effort to read/watch more than I normally would. Since school got out...

I have watched 28 movies.
I have attended 6 plays and 2 musicals.
I have finished reading 7 plays (although that would be 17 if you counted my required reading for the summer...).
I have started reading another play (but I'm pretty sure that I left it in Connecticut...).
I have finished reading 2 books.
I have started reading 2 other books.

Considering that I had a full-time job, I think that's pretty good. It's certainly a lot better than I would've done if I hadn't been tracking myself.

It's weird how quickly the summer has passed. But now that I'm back, everything makes sense again. It feels like I never should have left. This is where I belong.

~A~

2 comments:

Evil Twin Angela said...

You should read Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky. It took forever to read but was really worth it. Great book that deals with the inner emotions of an unsuspected murderer.

Almost like a longer version of the Tell Tale Heart but with Russians.

Amy said...

Hi Angela! My orientation is also on Monday...I'm just starting the MFA program at Regent University. Our welcome picnic was this evening, and I'm so excited to get started! I have a Rhetoric and Analysis class, Movement, Meisner Technique, and Unarmed Stage Combat. Do you know what shows you'll be putting up this year yet? Looking forward to some more regular blogging from you as you enter your "F" year!!!