8/25/08

Monday, August 25

Today was the All Conservatory Student Orientation. I am so, so, so excited for everything to begin, I can't even tell you.

The day started with the head of the program telling us, "You are an incredibly select group of people. Apparently, they watch 1200-1500 auditions each year, and only accept people who jump out at them as being special (my class is 7 males & 5 females, the 2nd year class is 4 males & 6 females, and the 3rd year class is 7 males & 3 females). He said that according to the yearly internal audit done by the university, our MFA acting program has been "shown to be the jewel in the crown" of the theatre program. He looked around the room quite seriously and said, "You guys are the future of the American Theatre -- it's all in this room."

Next came a discussion on safety procedures and "hurricane preparedness" (which actually seems relevant in the aftermath of Tropical Storm Fay -- the hurricane that was supposed to hit us, but didn't).

I was elected as one of two class representatives for the first year class (by "elected", I mean I was one of two people who volunteered, and the "secret ballot" we were supposed to have actually consisted of my classmates gleefully yelling out in unison to appoint me and my compatriot because they were glad to have dodged a proverbial bullet). The Pro is the other.

I've already gotten fitted by the costume shop for my understudy assignments, even though I won't audition for another few weeks, which was more exciting to me than it probably should have been.

We got a speech about having to pay our dues to the Actors' Equity Association (it's the union for professional actors and stage managers) now, so that we can get into their candidacy program. That way, we'll be eligible to join the union by the time we graduate.

We got all of the "scary" information as well. How, even though we don't have classes during holidays, we might still be required to be here (in case you have to work crew on Thanksgiving or have to go up as an understudy on Christmas Eve or something). We were told that our assistantship money will be cut if we get grades below B-level. Things like that.

Have I mentioned that I'm excited? Because I am. Seriously.

Classes start tomorrow. :)

3 comments:

Daniel Boughton said...

I think I'm adding a blogroll to my acting blog, so (assuming you don't mind), I'll link to this.
This isn't anonymous, right?

Andy - Instafather said...

so, even though you're crazy busy, you're gonna do more than one blog now? I like the tenacity.

Angela said...

This is NOT anonymous. :)