4/3/09

Friday, April 3

Movement
We started choreographing a dance to some music from West Side Story. It was all kinds of fun, actually. I'm a musical theatre geek, and I love to dance... So I'm all for it. :)


Linklater Workshop
We were all pretty sore, so our Instructor was gentle on us.


Acting
We did a run of Act IV, and I was on Másha duty. At the end of the run, acting Professor said that it was "45 minutes of good honest work and 15 minutes of technical glitches." What that meant, of course, was that the Act SHOULD take 40-45 minutes, but ours took an hour.

I had been worried about the run beforehand, because I just felt so drained from the week, and I didn't know if I had enough in me to be Másha (who is depressed and upset through the whole act). But I recorded ease, and full freedom. I went into the run with the idea that I was going to let Másha be whatever she was in the moment, and not stress out about whether I was going to cry or scream or anything. So it was probably the most muted I've been as Másha. But Acting Professor seemed to like it anyway. I'm glad that I decided to do it honestly instead of pushing. It might not be the best I've done it (or will do it), but I don't feel negatively about it, and I'm glad for that.

Acting Professor reminded us that Chekhov is either heroism or vulgarity (and triviality). They both have tragic masks. Lyricism does not, and has no place in Chekhov's work.

He also said that we cannot underestimate the importance of the baby that's on stage during parts of this Act.

Movement Professor observed class and gave me the following notes:
- Keep breathing even in stillness.
- Good timing.
- Voice falls off at the ends of lines in moments of high emotion, followed by a sigh. This could be the result of exhaling the impulse instead of using it on the line.
- Make sure to use the physical sensation of touch when interacting with other characters physically. (This was a note for everyone.)
- Try to take the run (I run to Vershínin) on one exhalation.

I don't normally get a lot of breathing notes. I discussed it with Movement Professor afterward, and we think that it has something to do with the dress I've been wearing. It's incredibly tight in the chest region, which was intentional to provide the sort of structure that the clothing of the time would've included. But it's preventing me from taking a full rib swing, running out of breath near the ends of lines, and then trying to catch my breath (hence the sighing). I'm going to try to get a new dress before Tuesday so that it won't be a problem anymore.

On Tuesday, we're going back to Act I, and I'm going to be Másha. I'm really looking forward to it. I think Act I is going to be a lot richer now that we've found everything we have with Act IV.


Tech
ASM-ing Three Postcards is pretty fun so far, though I don't have to do much at this point. I'm on book and giving lines when the actors need them. I set the props before the run. I wash the glasses after the run. I like it. It's nice to be in a rehearsal room. And the music is actually pretty catchy. Good times.

We start tech next week.

No comments: