4/18/09

Quotations: Volume 27

Here are some of the educational, inspirational, and humorous quotations from my classes this week:


"You can be a happy blind person, you can be an angry blind person, you can be any kind of blind person you like. I don't care. Just be blind." - Voice Professor, telling an actor that he wasn't enunciating the sentence "I'm blind" well enough.

(talking about someone I didn't know)
Prop Designer: I don't think he gets any sleep. Have you ever seen him sleep?
Tech Instructor: Oh, I'm sure he hangs upside down from something every once in awhile.

(trying to figure out how the drink props should look for Three Postcards)
Analysis Professor: ...And a Rob Roy should have an orange slice. What is it? Whiskey, sweet vermouth, bitters... is there scotch?
Tech Instructor: Bitters? That sounds like a Manhattan.
Analysis Professor: Oh, you know, they all look the same. One of those.
Tech Instructor: Well, I'm an alcoholic, I guess.

(after our voice class was kicked out of the big theatre because other people needed it, we ended up in the small theatre)
Big Show: Why are we in here?
Voice Professor: Well, they double-booked the [big theatre].
Killer: We're refugees, really.
Voice Professor: Nomads, in fact.

"These last two weeks in your experience as first-year students, you will learn that I cannot fix everything. Better to learn that now." - Voice Professor, regarding the space mix-up

(after our Voice class had been kicked out of three other spaces because other people needed them, we ended up in the Acting Studio.)
Voice Professor: We're so flexible about our space. We ARE nomads.
Wifey: We're 'no mad', also.
Voice Professor: That's punishable. Child's pose for you!

"Now, you I AM more powerful than." - Voice Professor to O.D., after complaining that she was not more powerful than the people who had made us move locations multiple times

"The singing bowl isn't even cooperating. What is going on?" - Voice Professor

"We could debate this, but I'm right." - Voice Professor

(while working on "Intimate Scenes")
O.D.: (in a creepy, vaguely sexual way) Hello, [Wifey].
Voice Professor: Were you trying to scare your scene partner, [O.D.]?
O.D.: I was trying to be 'intimate'.
Voice Professor: It was a little creepy.
O.D.: Oh.
Voice Professor: It's my job to let you know.

Acting Professor: ...But then you went backwards.
D-Train: That's when I f***ed up the line.
Acting Professor: But don't f*** up the technique. The line can take it.

(Iceman stopped using a prop that he had used weeks ago in the Vonnegut scenes)
Acting Professor: Where did your sack go?
Iceman: My sack?
O.D.: That's going on the blog!

"Okay, how did I become the weather?" - Acting Professor, when O.D. looked at his blazer during an etude and asked Iceman, "How do you like this weather?"

(referring to us taking risks in the classroom, which is the perfect place to do so)
"If something is flawless, it means you're not taking risks and you're not growing. To me, it is a very bothersome situation if you're not making mistakes." - Acting Professor

(Discussing O.D. and my scene, "Find Me a Dream")
Acting Professor: She is a princess in a ghetto.
O.D.: That's good. I should write that down.

No comments: