10/4/08

Quotations: Volume 6

Here are some of the educational, inspirational, and humorous quotations from my classes this week:

"I can float better." - Wifey, on super skinny people

Big Show: We haven't seen this blazer before.
Acting Professor: You've been keeping track?
Big Show: It's an exercise in concentration.
Killer: This blue is nice. It brings out your eyes.
Wifey: But... his eyes are brown.

"The truth on stage is not what actually happens in real life, but what could happen." - Acting Professor

O.D.: Zola, you said this. But in French.
Killer: Of course I did. Oui.
(In a skit for Analysis class)

"You win some, you Ib-some." - unsure of origin... I've heard O.D., Killer, All-The-Way, and The Pro all say it. (Hey O.D. and Killer, I know you read this... could you let me know?)

"I can't believe that we get paid to learn how to feel awesome all day." - All-The-Way

"If you know exactly where it's coming from, it's not art." - Acting Professor, implying that art requires creation and creativity

"Some of the best actors can't say two words about their characters. Of course they can't. They're living it." - Acting Professor

Acting Professor: That was a good exercise. *notices Thrill has stopped asking questions* [Thrill] is no longer confused.
Thrill: Oh, don't worry about me. I'm gonna be confused for awhile.
Acting Professor: [Thrill] is silent.
Thrill: That works.

"Can you sign my chest?" - Thrill, to Analysis Professor, after we saw that people are selling tickets to "an intimate dinner" with him. Clearly, our professor is a celebrity.

"It's okay to be a big mess for awhile." - Voice Professor

"If you're producing a lot of... um... SALIVA! If you're producing a lot of saliva during this, then that's fine. But it is a problem if you're too old to remember the word saliva." - Voice Professor (who is not old)

(when discussing our upcoming "professional skills" study, where we have to learn a professional skill well enough to fake it on stage)
Thrill: Is there any profession we can't do?
Acting Professor: The ones you can't fully demonstrate the skills of in class.
Me: You can't do pimp, [Thrill].
Thrill: Nah, that's a career, not a profession.

"I totally saw it! My psoas went [onomatopoeia]!" - Wifey, on seeing D-Train deny an impulse

"Was it the sexiversary, or no?" - Acting Professor, asking about the significance of September 18th in a dialogue etude

5 comments:

Daniel Boughton said...

Ib-some? What's that?
Sexiversary!

Angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim said...

I just stumbled across your blog tonight, and I must say that it has been a very rewarding experience.

This may sound incredibly stalkerish, but it's not-- I read every post from the very beginning tonight.

I'm a senior working on my BA in theatre (and English) and the whole phenomenon of grad school is looming.

I'm so thankful for your sharing of this experience so far. I'm really starting to crave an experience like this, and this is a great dose of reality.

Anonymous said...

Heh. I should've explained. It's a lame Ibsen joke, as we just read "A Doll House" and are about to read "The Wild Duck".

Anonymous said...

..................................................................