10/2/08

Thursday, October 2

MOVEMENT
We spent a period of time trying to find an ergonomic way to fall to the ground, and then stand back up. I think we fell and got up repeatedly for a solid five minutes (which is longer than it sounds like). I found a rather efficient way to fall, but was not as successful with rising. The Pro did an awesome job. Everything about his fall and rise looked graceful, effortless, and breathtaking. I love seeing other people in my class succeed. It gives me a more tangible goal to work toward.

VOICE
I've been helping my professor come up with example sentences for various consonant sounds, and I think I'm pretty good at it. Last week she needed ones with final "V" sounds, so I came up with things like "Genevieve will remove an olive glove to wave" and "Steve would love to jive and groove". Yesterday she asked me to come up with some for final "D" sounds. My favorite creation was, "Ingrid loved plaid, but Adelaide called it a fad." One of my classmates said he thought I'd be good at writing children's books. :)

Today we started paying attention to phrases like "couldn't you", "wouldn't you", "didn't you", etc. Part of the trick is to not add an extra vowel sound in there (so it's not "kood-un tyoo", but "koodn tyoo", if that makes sense).

We also did ten minutes of tremoring. This week is the first week that we've been allowed to introduce vocal sound into our tremoring. At first, I wasn't sure how to allow sound production without hindering spontaneous breath. I think I'm getting the hang of it now. The hardest part for me is to keep the sound "fluffy" and "breathy". Due to the fact that my tremors are so jumpy and violent, my voice punches the sound sometimes. I have to work toward stopping that, as it's bad for my vocal folds (also called "vocal chords" -- they're the same thing).


ACTING
We had our "dress rehearsals" for our "memory of physical action" exercises. Everyone has made dramatic improvements, and I'm really proud of us as a collective. Our "exam" is tomorrow, and all of the professors are invited to attend if they're available. I'm a little self-conscious about it, despite the fact that I've worked really hard on my exercise.

I made two real and two imaginary peanut butter and banana sandwiches this morning before classes to practice. I've made so many of them that I'm completely sick of them. I ended up bringing them to school and giving them away (one to D-Train -- which worked out nicely, as he forgot his lunch -- and one to a second year). I'll probably make another tomorrow morning, and maybe one more on my lunch break. I have to make my actions as specific as possible. I want it to be as real as possible. :)

No comments: