10/11/08

Quotations: Volume 7

Here are some of the educational, inspirational, and humorous quotations from my classes this week:


"Once your technique is very strong, it is your technique that gives you creativity." - Movement Professor

"Remember when she lifted the buckie? I mean the bucket! *shakes head* Buckie, buckie. This is me, guys. You'll have to get used to it. When you work right brain to left brain, these sorts of things happen." - Movement Professor

"If you're comfortable on stage, then there's something wrong." - Movement Professor, who said that this is an indication that you're playing for the result

*people join hands in a circle. O.D. is next to our Movement Professor*
O.D.: Warm hands.
Movement Professor: Me?
O.D.: Yes.
Movement Professor: I'm not actually a human. I'm a divining rod.

"It's okay to be boring. You don't need to be exciting." - Acting Professor

"Audience is as much an artist as you are. Never underestimate their creativity." - Acting Professor

"What genius performances I have given in my own living room. In my bathroom, my God! Sir Lawrence Olivier himself!" - Acting Professor

"Do not interact with any ghosts, unless there are actually ghosts in the room for you, in which case, bless your heart." - Acting Professor, on not pretending that their are other people in the room with you in an exercise

"I go to Disney World for inspiration. That's why all the pottery I make looks like gigantic mouse ears." - Big Show

"I feel... fizzy. Does anyone else feel fizzy?" - Movement Professor

"I think I have mat-burn on my back." - Me, after doing a warm-up that we call "Rocking like Roy Hart"

"I get mat-burn on my sacrum. I have to moisturize it frequently." - Voice Professor.

"Don't do it naked on a wool rug." - Voice Professor, about "Rocking like Roy Hart"

Me: My knees are like this in Second position. *shows bent knees* Is that okay?
Voice Professor: They can be as bent as you need.
Me: Just like pushing out a baby.
Voice Professor: I try never to think of that... But use what works for you.

"I feel like we're getting gypped out of class. A lot, lately. I'm going to write a letter!" - D-Train, when Voice class ended 15 minutes early so that we could all get flu shots

"[D-Train] will say this is another experiment I conducted." - Acting Professor

"If you can't let go of something, you will never be able to hold onto it." - Acting Professor

All-The-Way: Can we stop working with qualities for today? I'm tired.
D-Train: Stop whining.
O.D.: The Whining Quality!

"My hair hurts." - Me, after "Rocking like Roy Hart"

"The Half-Plow and Dying Cockroach. Never to be done at the same time, prostitute or not." - Voice Professor

"We got into an argument. [...] He's in the trunk of a car right now." - Acting Professor, giving an explanation for why Iceman was no where to be found after their meeting

"So those that it works for?... Defend yourselves, damn it." - Acting Professor, trying to encourage discussion

"First I thought we were kids on a playground, but then I was like, "Oh, of course. I'm obviously Rainman." - The Pro, when he thought he was a child in an etude but was being treated like a freak

"This exercise is called 'Shakespeare on Vacation'." - Acting Professor

"I can't go on. I must go on." - Analysis Professor, quoting Samuel Beckett (he uses this quotation ALL THE TIME to explain what characters are doing)

"I'm losing sensation in my forearm." - O.D., when our Movement Professor was stretching him out.

"If you're tickling yourself, come talk to me later. I've always wanted to be able to do that, and I can't." - Voice Professor

"Do I know what the f*** I'm talking about? Yes? Maybe I should phrase my answer in the form of a question." - Big Show, on self-censoring

"[Big Show] only gave us ten minutes." - Acting Professor, ten minutes after Big Show had announced that we should take a break, when Big Show and several other classmates were not back yet

No comments: