2/6/09

Friday, February 6

Two day catch-up!

Movement
We've been continuing with our Eginton Alignment work, and have now also begun to incorporate Fitzmaurice voice work into it. It involves a lot of lying on the floor, and a bit of tremoring.

I'll be honest; most of the things that we're working with are so minute in scale that it's hard for me to feel them. But after class when I look at my alignment in the mirror, the effect is massively evident. I'm already straighter than I was even just 5 days ago. It's pretty great.


Voice
Yesterday we focused a lot on two pairs of vowel sounds that are tricky to distinguish whether you should use the diphthong or not.

e (alien) vs. eI (pay)

&

o (obey) vs. oU (dough)

In general, it seems like if the word starts with those vowels, there's no diphthong, but if the vowel is anyplace else in the word, there is a diphthong. But don't quote me, because I'm sure there are probably exceptions to that.

We've been doing a lot of self-testing now, where our Voice Professor (or the substitute we had today, who is actually the woman I'm understudying in The Imaginary Invalid) will read off a words, and we'll attempt to put them into IPA on our own. I've done fairly well, actually. The only words that have tripped me up so far have been "lawnmower" (I used a diphthong for "ower" instead of a triphthong) and "loudest" (I used the "met" vowel for the second syllable, but it apparently should be the "sit" vowel).


Acting
Today was totally Breakthrough City for my classmates. People are doing seriously beautiful work. It's pretty great to witness it.

O.D. and I did a chunk of our scene yesterday, and it went pretty well. I've still been doing the scene in the costume from Wednesday and no glasses (because contacts didn't exist in the time period, and there's no way my character would've worn glasses to a party).

My classmates said that my character's backstory is becoming more evident in the scenework as I'm connecting to the material better. It feels good.


Analysis
We discussed Lear with our substitute teacher (she works in the admin). I think I have a pretty good handle on the scene we're supposed to be paraphrasing.



By the way... I never posted pictures of my floral design from Acting class, so here it is (taken two days after I made it, so it was already sort of dying).







Oh, and Iceman took a picture of me on Vocal Rest at the Blur strike. Proof that I'm an obedient student.

2 comments:

Heidi Renée said...

You must tell me where you got that shirt.

Angela said...

G*Thanks at the Meridian Mall back around 2002. Sorry, babe.