9/11/09

Friday, September 11

VOICE
We went through and spoke our sections of Lady with the Lapdog to check in before our Standard American Dialect exam on Tuesday. Voice Professor didn't give me any notes, which I think is a first for me. But I'm not out of the woods by any means; this stuff is HARD to memorize, and I have to be off-book for the exam.

Possible reasons that I'm having so much trouble memorizing it:
- It's a story, not a scene. There are no objectives or tactics to help memorization.
- My section is more about thoughts than images, so I can't picture it easily.
- I'm focusing more on the sounds than the words (in order to make it Standard).
- It has an uneven rhythm.
- The clauses and phrases are REALLY LONG, so it's hard even to memorize half a sentence at a time.

I hope I can memorize it well for Tuesday. I'm going to spend most of the next two days focusing on auditions, I think. Monday will be "Lady with the Lapdog" day. I just have to pray that it's enough.

(Note: I have already been working steadily on trying to memorize it... I'm just having a lot of difficulty, and I don't want to distract myself with it during audition stuff. But I don't want you to think that I'm saving all my work for the last minute. I've spent a lot of time with the piece.)


MOVEMENT
Today was actually a really good day for me in Movement, and kind of a terrible day for most everybody else. We did completely different stretches than usual, and I found them to be more fun and easier than the usual stuff. But, as usually happens, my body responded differently than my classmates. Most of them seemed miserable and in pain. Go figure.

Also good about Movement today: after a full year of frustration, today I FELT MY PSOAS!!! AND IT WAS AWESOME!!! It turns out, it's in a completely different place than I'd been visualizing. I was so pumped, I can't even tell you.


ACTING
Thrill started off class with the second presentation in the "Great Actors" series. He spoke about Thomas Betterton, who was the hottest actor in Restoration. He was the original Valentine in Love for Love, and he wrote the first book on how to act.

We moved on to Electra, which is now mostly blocked. Two-Shots-Up, Wifey, D-Train, and Big Show have the biggest roles, and they were all doing AMAZING work today. They were tearing it up, and I was so proud.


PROGRAM
I found out that I have my first costume fitting next week. It's so exciting!

The 1st and 2nd year classes will be doing auditions tomorrow afternoon. Say prayers for us!

~A~

No comments: