10/13/09

Tuesday, October 13

VOICE
Ah, the joys of scansion.

We discussed:
- punctuation
- enjambment
- scansion
- defining sentences
- parentheticals
- antithesis
- alliteration
- assonance
- consonance
- onomatopoeia
- rhyme
- rhymed couplets

And our homework is to take the Juliet monologue we've been working with and mark:
- scansion
- sentences
- enjambment
- parentheticals
- antithesis
- look up any words of questionable definitions


MOVEMENT
Today was the "ladies only" class day ("gentlemen only" is tomorrow, so I won't have class). We worked on ballet stuff. We learned 4th and 5th position (I think Movement Professor briefly mentioned 3rd, but I can't remember it for the life of me right now). We learned grande pliés (previously we'd only done demi-pliés). We learned frappés (it turns out that they aren't just drinks at Starbucks). It's all very exciting.

Sometimes, I feel things in my body incorrectly. Movement Professor kept telling me that I was bending my leg during tondues today, but I couldn't feel it at all. Due to the fact that it's entirely unconscious (and apparently I wasn't able to prevent it even when I was consciously working on it and still couldn't feel that it was wrong), I sort of want to say, "I'M not bending my leg, my LEG is bending my leg." It's not like I'm intentionally doing it wrong; I just can't figure out how NOT to do it wrong.


ACTING
We're coming down to the final stretch of The Greeks. Our one and only performance is on Friday (at 4pm, and it's free... so if you're local, COME!).

My notes from today included:
- I have gotten to a place of more stillness in my monologue, and it's very good
- Make sure to actually have the sensation of feeling hot before grabbing prop fan
- Enjoy combat with Hermione more. It's at least a little bit invigorating.
- During "I am a Trojan woman" speech, get the rush of a Redbull, have power in legs, and be proud of it.
- Land lines
- Don't paraphrase
- In the line "It is in me", use the vowel of the word "in" more.
- Have more ease in the opening
- Don't play point-of-view in the opening


MYSTERY PLAYS
After working the end of Act II, we did a run of it. I thought it went pretty well, considering how few chances we've had to work on it thus far.

The most notable thing about rehearsal happened in the last 5 minutes. We were spoken to about how to be more professional in rehearsals. Embarrassing that it had to happen, but it's always good to have a reminder.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Third position is just fifth, but without bringing the legs so tightly into the cross. The heel of the front foot touches the ball joint of the other foot. Usually, unless one has trained in ballet since birth (ha!) most dancers actually land somewhere in between third and fifth. Officially, third is a training position, and isn't used once one attains fifth. Also, with the tendus, try to think less of straightening the knee and more of extending the stretch of the leg fully from the thigh through the calf. Don't know if any of this helps...I just an old ballet geek!
Amy

Angela said...

Thanks, Amy!