1/23/10

Quotations: Volume 47

Here are some of the educational, inspirational, and humorous quotations from my classes this week:

(Disclaimer: quotations are often taken out of context and may not accurately reflect the way they were originally intended)



"That was bad. Let me try that again. Let's not pretend; that was terrible."
- Big Show, during a Roy Hart exercise

"Skinny dipping is encouraged. No one wears bathing suits. I didn't."
- Voice Professor, on visiting the Roy Hart chateau in France

"For example, [Thrill]'s... well, I don't want to say anything that's a secret, but you're not Caucasian."
- Voice Professor, talking about how different dialects are going to be more beneficial to some people than others, based on their types

"You can pretty much go by what sounds retarded."
- Voice Professor, on how to hear if something in the New York dialect is right or not

"Guys, this is not a really difficult dialect, so don't despair now, or we'll never make it through Irish."
- Voice Professor

"I think you have to squeeze his balls. I mean, he's not getting it, is he? Extreme times call for extreme measures."
- Acting Professoressa, to Wifey, on how her Sensual Doing Verb (non-literal) should be "to squeeze"

"Okay, next time, squeeze his balls, but this time, he likes it."
- Acting Professoressa, trying to give Wifey a bigger obstacle in her monologue

"When you do, that it confuses us. It confuses [Acting Professoressa]. [Acting Professoressa] is old."
- Acting Professoressa

"It's rhetorical. It's the difference between, 'How can I go to class with a pot of spaghetti on my head.' versus, "How can I go to class with a pot of spaghetti on my head?"
- Acting Professoressa

(on All-The-Way's focus in her monologue, where she uses the audience as a scene partner, but then spends part of the speech talking to a photograph)
All-The-Way: This is a hard piece to involve a partner.
Acting Professoressa: Yeah. We didn't talk about this, but a prop could be a partner.
All-The-Way: Oh, I have many partners.
Wifey: Ooh, don't go sayin' that.

(on Iceman & Newbie's scene from Measure for Measure)
Acting Professoressa: She has to get the answers right so she won't get attacked.
All-The-Way: That's the worst game show ever.
Acting Professoressa: What is?
O.D.: "Don't Get Raped".
Acting Professoressa: But who's the host?
Iceman: [OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD]!

"Keeping your character off-balance; that's when interesting things happen."
- Acting Professoressa

(during a New York dialect exercise)
D-Train: I feel like a tool.
Angela: That's how you know you're doing it right.
Voice Professor: Okay, [Big Show]'s next. [Big Show], be a tool.
Big Show: I already am.

(Angela had a headache and was wearing sunglasses in class. She became a character in her New York dialect exercises, but kept saying things correctly.)
Voice Professor: Obviously, the glasses are the dialect. So I think you all know what to bring for tomorrow.
Angela: (with a New York dialect) I came in with my Starbucks, too, so obviously that helped.

"I'm still talkin' outta my uterus."
- All-The-Way, after noticing that her voice drops low when we attempts a New York dialect

No comments: