1/15/10

Thursday, January 14

Today was my first day of using a brand new notebook. Maybe it's my imagination, but I feel like I go through notebooks really quickly here. This one is my first pink one, which I'm actually strangely excited about, since I'm usually not much of a pink person. But anyway.

VOICE
Still in the theatre. I had to get up on stage and do a "scene" (which actually meant "whatever text I could remember from the scene from Cowboy Mouth that we worked on last year"... which, as it turned out, wasn't very much. There was a lot of improvising involved). I thought it went pretty well. It sounds like this whole week of work is going to be our exam grade, instead of having a normal exam.

By the way, the scene that Thrill and O.D. improvised was hilariously brilliant. Thrill took on the woman's role, and they had a bizarre conversation about Dolce & Gabbana shoes. Awesome.


MOVEMENT
Another half-day of weights and barre work. At the end we did some floor-crossing whatnot involving kicks.



ACTING
We got through the rest of the class' first round of monologue work, and started the second round.

In monologues, if part of the obstacle you're creating for yourself is that your partner keeps trying to leave, don't actually have them leave before the end of the monologue; it leaves you in a weak position.

We talked briefly about the importance of linking lines within the same beat. It gives more sense to the monologue, and drives you forward.

Iceman did an exercise that Acting Professoressa called "Show and Tell", in which he had to indicate every single word in his monologue (like the Torn Mime) while speaking it. It was really fun, and it really freed him up with the text the next time he went through it. I'm totally going to put that exercise in my toolbox.

No comments: