1/20/10

Wednesday, January 20

VOICE
We continued on with the New York dialect. There are some sounds that are "optional". The strangest of these to my ear are:

- saying "er" in place of "oi", so that "oyster" sounds like "erster" and "point" sounds like "pernt"
- taking out the "h" in words that start with "h-liquid u". "Hugh" sounds like "you", and "human" sounds like "you-man".
- saying "toity-toid" instead of "thirty-third"


MOVEMENT
Killer and I got to work on our partnering duet.

At the very beginning, Movement Professor wanted to change some of our choreography so that Killer and I were running towards each other simultaneously, and then I jump up and he catches me. I don't know why, but I find it absolutely terrifying. Movement Professor didn't understand why I was scared, and I don't fully, either. Killer said something about it having to do with a moving target, and I think that's certainly part of it.

In two of my final Contact Improv pairing videos from last semester (one with Killer, one with D-Train), you can see moments where my partner and I were running at each other, and I just totally froze up. I don't know why it freaks me out. Maybe I'm afraid of collision? Maybe I'm afraid of jumping too far and not being caught? I honestly don't know.

We ended up changing it to something less frightening for me, since we don't have much time to rehearse before we show the pairings (Friday).

I hope our pairing looks okay. It's so hard to know what things are going to be like when you're in them.



ACTING
Today we did some table-work for Shakespeare scenes that people will be doing in our next unit. Big Show was out sick, and he's my scene partner, so we're doing our Richard III table-work tomorrow.

I now have one line in Newbie & Iceman's Measure for Measure scene (I play a servant. Hugely exciting). I am also going to be the stage manager for the Othello scene. (It has 5 actors in it and probably will have the most complicated blocking to take down, so I volunteered for it, as I think I probably like stage management more than any of my classmates).

No comments: