1/13/10

Wednesday, January 13

VOICE
In the beginning of class, we were working with focusing our voices, and Voice Professor had us use our hands like "goggles" to help us focus on where to send the sound. We started our sent phrases with the words "Hey you!". It eventually got pretty silly. ("Hey you, get off of my cloud!"; "Hey you, these 3D glasses don't work!"; "Hey you, get away from my car!"; "Hey you, this is MY car!")

I did my screaming/shouting individual practice in the theatre. So basically, I stood on stage with Voice Professor and screamed and shouted while my classmates were in the last few rows of the audience.

I asked Voice Professor if I could work on a modified scream: I wanted to do a good spring break "WOOOOOOOOO!" I'm a pretty good shouter, and I don't often have to scream on stage, but I do a lot of "WOOOO!"-ing in my real life, and I want to make sure that I'm keeping my voice healthy when I'm off stage, too. She thought it was funny, I think. She said that technically it's somewhere between a scream and a shout, as it isn't on text but does have a specific sound.

Our homework is to write up all the steps we go through to prepare our voices, as well as what each step does.


MOVEMENT
After lifting weights and doing barre work, Killer and I got to start blocking our partnering exercise today. And it was exhausting. It's not really ballet, and it's not really modern... I felt like a contestant on So You Think You Can Dance. One who was about to be voted off the show.

It was fun, though. It involves some lifts, and falling, and dragging, and is generally ridiculous. I think I'm going to propose to Killer (are you reading this?) that we come up with a story to tell through the choreography, to make things more specific. But honestly, I have no idea what this story could possibly be.


ACTING
More people did their monologues. Things I wrote down today included:

- Trust yourself
- Live in Reality #2
- Make specific notes on doings
- A good reason to change the way you're looking at a prop on stage is needing to see it in better lighting
- "share a secret" is a useful doing

No comments: