11/7/08

Friday, November 7

Movement
We worked more with our handball tossing today, and it was more successful than yesterday (thank goodness).

We continued working a game called "Master/Slave" (which she sometimes calls "God/Creature") in conjunction with the texts of our "movement monologues". At first, Master (God) was saying the words in such a way that they could control the movements of the Slave (Creature). By the end it switched so that the Master was doing movements to change how the slave said their words. It was really neat. And it's our homework for the weekend to continue work with that.


Voice
We continued working with Rib Swing in partner pairs. Once I raise my soft palate, it's so easy now. The biggest thing I struggle with is staying relaxed in my shoulders while expanding my rib cage, but I'm getting better at it.


Movement Tutorial
My walk has gotten significantly better since the last time we taped it, even with my present injuries. My homework assignments are:

- Learn to lead with my left leg instead of my right.
- Step out further with my left leg to prevent my gait from getting too narrow on one side.
- Keep my head free, forward, and up.
- Allow sacroilleatic articulation (no clue how to spell that, but I know what it means).
- Connect my psoas muscles through the body.
- Remember to allow my arms to move even when I'm concentrating on 5 other things.

The tendonitis in my right hip socket got pretty bad today after God/Creature, and now it's painful to walk. It's especially painful to drive. Something's wrong with my illeacus (again, no clue how to spell that, but I know where it is... and it's not pleasant).

My movement professor wants me to start walking 20-30 minutes every day (on a treadmill or otherwise) from now until January 1st in order to strengthen my legs. She wants me to be less prone to injury by the time we start tumbling next semester. She says she's going to have me sit out from several activities in the next couple of weeks, which I find incredibly frustrating. And I know that some of my classmates hate it when I sit out, and point to it as me not being a part of the ensemble, which upsets me more than I can say.


Acting
We discussed how our worst fear has to be damaging our relationship with a partner onstage. You are only as good as your partner. If you bring your partner to where they need to be, then you will have a good performance. If you attempt to act in spite of them, then you will not look any better than they do.

We did text etudes for the remainder of class, and they went really well.

Big Show & Wifey had a really intense etude involving divorce that left both of them in tears and me completely breathless. They really gave themselves over to it, and it created something beautiful.

I did three rounds with The Pro on a piece of text, and all three times it rang out REALLY differently. And I was really happy with how it went. I think that it's safe to say I'm on the road to recovery where my bravery is concerned, and I couldn't be happier about that.



Well, I must be off. Wilder! Wilder! Wilder! calls!

~A~

1 comment:

Daniel Boughton said...

If your prof. is asking you to sit out from things, how can members of the class criticize you for that? Methinks the prof. should be addressing this negativity.
"If you bring your partner to where they need to be, then you will have a good performance. If you attempt to act in spite of them, then you will not look any better than they do." Great encapsulation of some things I have been thinking recently along the same lines!