11/12/08

Wednesday, November 12

Movement
Two of the Viewpoints/Text groups presented today, and both of the performances were terrific. Seriously. It was intimidating. My group is going on Friday.

We spent part of class doing a variation on God/Creature that I like. But working with my text in this way is so jarring to me that it makes me completely mess up my monologue. I keep saying lines in the wrong order, or just forgetting completely comes next. I'm going to have to drill it next weekend.


Voice
I don't remember the last time my body was as confused as it was today in voice class. I can do a rib swing. I can use my lower abdominals properly to create sound. But when I try to put those steps together, my body will have none of it. I can't figure it out for the life of me. My Voice Professor told me not to work on it on my own, for fear that it might end up throwing me even farther off track. I hope it goes better tomorrow.


Acting
We spent a long period of time discussing our observation assignment. It was an interesting talk about finding the essence of the other person (not just physical tics), adding your essence to it, and coming up with a third thing. My professor said that in order to truly portray a character, you have to know what they would do in any situation, not just what you observe them doing (or, in the case of a play, not just what they do in the script).


Singing Tutorial
I totally had the day wrong and showed up late! But it worked out fine. I've officially chosen "Stranger to the Rain" from Children of Eden, and I'm really rather excited about it.


Homework
I had two rehearsals with my Viewpoints group. One at 8am, the other at 11pm. We're going to have a couple more run-throughs of what we've got before performing on Monday morning. *fingers crossed*

No comments: