11/23/09

Quotations: Volume 41

Here are some of the educational, inspirational, and humorous quotations from my classes this week:

(Disclaimer: quotations are often taken out of context and may not accurately reflect the way they were originally intended)


(in the sentence "The tumultuous news assumed the duke fought a duel in the nude", O.D. was trying so hard to work on his liquid-u that he put one in the word "fought", which made the whole class burst into laughter at the amazing-ness of his newly created word)
"Everyone take your pronouncing dictionaries; change it."
- Voice Professor

"'Whoreson dog.' I want you to use that expression next time you're dissatisfied with someone."
- Acting Professoressa, quoting Cymbeline

"I think he's having a metaphor meltdown."
- Acting Professoressa, on Cloten in Act II, scene iii of Cymbeline

O.D.: Wales is considered this especially dreary part of England...
Acting Professoressa: I got food poisoning in Wales; I can vouch for that.

Iceman: It's kind of like a simile.
Angela: (laughs) I love that you used a simile to call it a simile.

Wifey: (moment of realization) Ahhh!
Acting Professoressa: (in a baby voice, as people sometimes use to talk to infants and pets) Did you just get it?
Wifey: I did.
Acting Professoressa: (reverts to normal voice) I'm sorry. I don't know why you just turned into my dog. I talk to my dog that way.
Wifey: It's okay. You love your dog.
Acting Professoressa: I do!

"Halfway between the "I" and the "i". That's sort of the [1st-Year Acting Professor] vowel, isn't it? Like 'seewhatimean'?"
- Voice Professor

"You say, '[Voice Professor] says this, but whatever you'd like.' That way it takes the weight off of you and puts it all on me. And you've also said, 'whatever you'd like.'"
- Voice Professor, on what to do if a director at the Conservatory/Rep Theatre asks us to change the way we're saying something in dialect

"They're really useful. See, I'm using one. Auntie [Acting Professoressa] uses one."
- Acting Professoressa, on how using a bookmark as a guide for which line you're reading can be helpful in Shakespearean texts

All-The-Way: My first sensual doing was 'to twist his arm'.
Acting Professoressa: Yeah, that was like an AK-47 in his face.

(on acting sonnets)
Acting Professoressa: You have to über-land that couplet so that they know it's over.
Killer: Put a button on it.
Acting Professoressa: Yes. A button. An Elizabethan button.

"Make some noise. You're having sex. Just make some breathing noises..."
- Acting Professoressa, helping to set the scene for a sonnet

"Try to get your 'Need' met and be a mensch at the same time. That'll make the gods smile on you. Even if you don't get your 'Need' met."
- Acting Professoressa

"He knows all too well the sounds of her in the throes of rapture."
- Acting Professoressa

"I'm willing to watch it. I'm waiting.... I'm unsure on the premise, but I'm willing to watch it."
- Acting Professoressa, after it was proposed that D-Train's sonnet begin with him walking in on lovers

No comments: