11/25/09

Wednesday, November 25

VOICE
I've been looking forward to today for awhile. Why? Because on the day of the Voice Showing, the 1st-Years and the 2nd-Years warm up together! Tremoring with an entire extra 12 people? SO MUCH FUN. There's so much energy flowing through the room, and it has such a great synergy to it.

It turns out the 1st-Years have actually learned a couple of tremors that we haven't yet. (I'll pretend not to be jealous.) Voice Professor said that she's waiting to teach us the partner tremor and group tremor until we do Machinal next semester. I don't know why we never did the Cross Body tremor... We stretch in that position in Movement Class. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd get much of a tremor in the position, but I'm totally going to try it.

VOICE SHOWING
A lot of people came to support us, including our other professors, some sponsors from the community, some of the 3rd-year students, and some relatives. It was lovely. :)

The 1st-Years showed off their stellar tremoring skills. I felt like a proud parent... Even though I'm not related to them or maternal over them in any way... and I have nothing to do with their progress... But I was proud of them.

The 2nd-Years started off by reciting our chunks of "Lady with the Lapdog" using Standard American dialects. It had been so long since we'd done it, that I actually got really invested in the story as I was listening to it. It made me a little emotional, actually. I do enjoy it. I'm glad we revisited it.

Next we did "chewing and shaking the hum" as well as doing our "pitch ladders", in preparation for a short (and loud) demonstration of our screaming/yelling work.

Finally, we showed how we learned how to score Shakespearean text. Each of us had an element to mark on the text (which Wifey had written on the chalkboard), and then explain what the element is and how we use it. I got to explain both Antithesis and Breathing.

Yay for a successful showing!


ACTING
Newbie continued working on her sonnet (#18), which we started yesterday. Here are some of the "doings" she went through...

Q1: to praise/to nudge/to fluff
Q2: to reassure/to rock/to cradle/to squeeze/to compress/to press
Q3: to inspire/to inflate
C4: to pledge/to bind/to bond/to massage/to blast/to uncork

Then we moved onto Wifey (#34)

Q1: to pink
Q2: to pierce/to lick/to tease
Q3: to block/to freeze/to warn
C4: to kiss goodbye


For next Tuesday, we are to scan our monologues and be ready to do table work on them.

2 comments:

Ally said...

Hey - I got a question for you - I've never heard of this tremoring thing - searched your site and found where you talked about it the first time, and it sounds facinating... Do you happen to know of any online articles or such about this practice? I tried googling but everything I find has to do with medically caused tremors, not causing them yourself as an exercise =D

Angela said...

Hello Ally!

The tremoring we do is part of Fitzmaurice Voicework, created by Catherine Fitzmaurice. She refers to it as "destructuring" and "tremorwork". Here's her website:
http://www.fitzmauricevoice.com