11/12/09

Thursday, November 12

VOICE
Our "cheat sheets" for the RP dialect are due Tuesday.

We started listening to a dialect CD from Paul Meier, and taking notes on the various rules of RP. Some of them are WEIRD. Did you know that the Brits pronounce "lieutenant" as "leftenant"? Totally weird.

Voice Professor says that when you're working on any text that involves a dialect, it's important to use all your resources. Check the Ask List. Check the pronunciation dictionary. Check the dialect book and CDs. Use the IDEA site. Talk to people with the dialect.


MOVEMENT
We did some bar work, and then moved on to further blocking in our ballet routine. I have some more complicated moves with Thrill than I've done in ballet. It's going to take some time for my body to get used to, but I'm excited.


ACTING
We spent the entirety of class looking at monologues for people.

All-The-Way's possibilities:
- The Tempest; Miranda; III, i
"Alas, now pray you."
"I do not know one of my sex."
(strange cutting)
- The Two Gentlemen of Verona; Julia; IV, iv; ln 180
"A virtuous gentlewoman, mild and beautiful."
(love it! Great casting for All-the-Way. Lessons embedded in the piece. Discovers, works through, and decides.)

Two-Shots-Up's possibilities:
- Antony and Cleopatra; Cleopatra; I, iii
"Pray you, stand further from me." (created monologue)
(Great monologue! Done a lot. Perhaps not QUITE old enough, but do-able)
- Cymbeline; Imogen; III, iv; ln 74
"Why, I must die."
- The Tempest; Miranda; III, i
- Cymbeline; Imogen; III, iv; line 46
"I false? Thy conscience witness! Jachimo..."
(perfect age to play it)
- All's Well That Ends Well; Helena; III, ii; line 98
"Til I have no wife, I have nothing in France."
(Acting Professoressa LOVES this piece)

Iceman's possibilities:
- Henry IV, Part I; Prince; I, ii; line 195
"I know you all, and will a while uphold..."
- Henry IV, Part I; Hotspur; IV, i; line 111
"No more, no more! Worse than the sun in March..."
- Richard III; King Edward; I, iv; line 103
"Have I a tongue to doom thy brother's death."
(Epic, and not done often)
- King Lear; Edmund; I, ii
"Thou, Nature, art my goddess..."
(overdone)
- Cymbeline; Posthumus; II, v; line 1
"Is there no way for men to be, but women must be half-workers?"

Wifey's possibilities:
- The Winter's Tale; Paulina; III, i; line 173
"What studied torments, tyrant, hast for me?"
(overdone)
- Titus Andronicus; Tamora; II, iii; line 9
"My lovely Aaron, wherefore look'st thou sad?"
- Richard II; Duchess; I, ii
"Finds brotherhood in thee no sharper spur?"

O.D.'s possibilites:
- Othello; Iago; I, iii; Line 383
"Thus do I ever make my fool my purse."
(overdone)
- Othello; Iago; II, iii; line 335
"And what's he then that says I play the villain,"
- Richard III; Richard of Gloucester; I, ii; line 227
"Was ever woman in this humor woo'd?"
- Richard III; Richard of Gloucester; I, ii, line 151
"I would they were, that I might die at once..."
- Henry VI, Part III; Richard; II, i; line 78
"I cannot weep..."
(no 'Need')
- Henry VI, Part III; Son; II, v
"Ill blows the wind that profits nobody."
(Talking to dead body means eyes are too low. Too heightened emotions for auditions)
- The Two Gentlemen of Verona; Proteus; II, iv; line 191
"Even as one heat another heat expels."

Thrill's possibilities:
- Othello; Othello; V, ii
"It is the cause, it is the cause, my soul;"
- Othello; Othello; V, ii, line 259
"Behold, I have a weapon;"
- Titus Andronicus; Aaron; II, i; line 1
"Now climbeth Tamora Olympus' top,..."
- Titus Andronicus; Aaron; II, i line 103
"For shame, be friends, and join for that you jar."
- Titus Andronicus; Aaron; IV, ii; Line 87
"Sooner this sword shall plough thy bowels up."

D-Train's possibilities:
- Hamlet; Hamlet; I, ii; line 129
"O that this too too sallied flesh would melt,"
(done a lot)
- Hamlet; Hamlet; II, ii; line 549
"O, what a rogue and peasant slave am I..."
(overdone and too long... But he could start it at "Am I coward?" and go to the end, and it might be fine.)
- King John; Lewis; V, ii; line 78
"Your Grace shall pardon me, I will not back."
(done a lot)
- Henry V; King Henry; I, ii; line 259
"We are glad the Dolphin is so pleased with us.


And as for me...
I brought in a Goneril, a Lady Percy, a Phebe, 2 Helenas (Midsummer, not All's Well), and 2 Isabellas (recommended by Acting Professoressa). All were shot down except for the one Isabella that I really didn't like. So it looks like I might actually do a cutting of Constance from King John, even though it's an overdone speech. We shall see.


THE MYSTERY PLAYS
We had a lovely talk-back.

No comments: