1/16/09

Friday, January 16

Ballroom Workshop
Today was our last day. Big Show and I were partners for nearly the whole day, and I have to say, I thought we were really nailing the waltz stuff.

We dabbled in a couple of other dances (like polka!), just to see what the basic step is like in case we need it in the future.


Voice
My Voice professor called my sending-and-landing "awesome" today, so I think I'm ready for our test on Tuesday. She said that the thing I have to watch out for is raising my chin when I say lines. (I don't know if this is a problem I've always had and no one told me, or if it's a new thing as a result of the new breathing that I'm doing...?)


Acting
I showed my "person" observation today. The goal of it was to find the "essence" of the person, and allow it in. So it's not about mimicry. I think it's more about creating a character. It went alright, but I think I really need to spend more time with this character before it's going to yield much.

It felt like a lot happened... Let's see...

Animals:
All-the-Way - sea lion
Big Show - lizard
Killer - squirrel
Newbie - starfish
Wifey - cockatiel

Inanimate Object:
Wifey - ceiling fan

People:
Me - "Donna"
Wifey - "Kim"

Professional Skill:
Big Show - Winemaker
O.D. - Plant Propagator

We decided what everyone is going to do for our exam on Tuesday. We're each going to present three out of our four observations. I'm doing Flamingo, Air Mattress, and Floral Designer ("Donna" needs to marinate a bit longer before she'll be ready for anything).


Carl Forsman Auditioning Workshop
This weekend, Carl Forsman is doing a workshop with each class on auditioning. The 1st-years' workshop is on Sunday, and we were just given our sides today ("sides" are pieces of dialogue from a play that actors are asked to use at auditions). Some of the sides are from The Hollow by Agatha Christie, and some are from Merton of the Movies by George S. Kaufman.

I'm doing a side with O.D. from Merton of the Movies, and I'm pretty excited for it. The only concern I have is that I think we're going to have to go last in the workshop... I hope we'll get plenty of feedback before time is up. Now I just have to memorize three pages of dialogue before Sunday morning.

2 comments:

Clowncar said...

How did someone get the nickname "two shots up"?

Your blog makes me miss my NYC theater days - I did a little directing off-off B'way back in the day.

Good luck with your studies!

Angela said...

Clowncar -- Honestly, it beats me. I wasn't there when she got the nickname. I also never got a good explanation on "O.D.", come to think of it.