1/31/09

Quotations: Volume 18

Here are some of the educational, inspirational, and humorous quotations from my classes this week (NOTE: I was sick and in workshops, which is why there are so few):


"Who's Tom? I'm Tom." - Stage Combat Instructor, talking about facing the audience/camera as much as possible in fights, just like Tom Cruise would

(On Camera Instructor is fiddling with a camera that's hooked up to a television)
On Camera Instructor: [Cameraman], I can't make it play back.
Cameraman: (Walks over to camera) Just press the red button. (Cameraman begins fiddling with camera)
On Camera Instructor: Would that have worked?
Cameraman: Nah. There's no red button.

"Don't be me in my badness. Be me in my greatness." - Stage Combat Instructor, after admitting one of his own bad habits in stage combat work

"Don't worry, I'll have you off your knees in a second. Then you'll be flat on your back." - Stage Combat Instructor

Stage Combat Instructor: When you're punching, you have to keep your hand vertical, as if you were going to give the person you're punching a thumbs up.
2nd-year AG: Or like you're holding a beer in your hand.
Stage Combat Instructor: YES! Oh my God. I'm using that. And you do NOT want to spill your beer!

"Are any of the gentlemen wearing boxers today? Guys, I'm sorry, but you cannot wear those for combat. For today, you might have to hold yourself in place, for safety's sake." - Stage Combat Instructor, when we were working with groin kicks

"You've got to react. You've just been kicked in the yum-yums." - Stage Combat Instructor

"Oh no. Not this again. You're always choking me at this part of the fight." - Stage Combat Instructor

No comments: