2/19/10

Friday, February 19

VOICE

We started speaking our New York dialect scenes. I’m working with Big Show and Thrill. I think I'm doing alright.


MOVEMENT

The men showed their snuffbox moves.

We did something with a salon. People had to enter the “room” one at a time, and make a grand entrance before greeting each other.

At one point, we had to have a secret lover, and find ways to communicate with them using our body language, facial expression, and props. I decided that Thrill was my secret lover, and as I was communicating that to him, it became clear that he had chosen me as his as well! Very fun.

We also worked on handshakes, and gentlemen kissing ladies’ hands.

We started working on the Pavane. My dance partner is Iceman. It’s moving super slowly right now.


ACTING

Acting Professoressa had people working today write their “Need” in one cogent sentence on the chalkboard. It was a way of making sure they’d really nailed down what their goal in the scene was, to try to keep their stakes high and their words active.
Other notes of the day:

- There’s a difference between aggression that comes out of hate than the aggression that comes out of hurt.

- Don’t pick up your cues TOO soon, as you might be missing an important piece of ingormation that really needs to land on you.


MACHINAL

We did our “designer run-through” today. It was attended not only by the Director, Stage Manager, and ASM (1st-Year GP), but also:
- The sound designer
- The lighting designer
- The costume designer
- The set designer
- The costume crew (1st-Year AS and 1st-Year GK)
- A prospective student who is visiting the program right now (It’s recruitment season!)

It kinda felt like an audience, which was cool.

I think the run went pretty well. I’m in Scene 4 (the hospital) and Scene 9 (the jail). Scene 4 has been going well for a while now, and feels like one of the tightest scenes at the moment. Scene 9 has taken a while to find its footing, but I think we’re finally on the right track. This was the first time we’ve run it when I actually felt pretty good about it after the fact.

No comments: