2/24/10

Wednesday, February 24

VOICE
I regret to say that today was the first time in my 3.5 semesters of graduate school that I have missed class time… I came into Voice class very late today. I apologized to Voice Professor, who was very kind about it (because I’m not a repeat offender, and because I’m quite solid on the New York dialect, which is what I was missing).
We continued reciting the most interesting lines from everyone’s New York Dialect scenes. Things are going pretty well. Our exam is going to be on Friday.

MOVEMENT
We spent an hour on the Pavane. I now dance with Iceman, D-Train, and Killer.
After that, we showed the first couple of sentences of our “Stuffed Turkey” monologues. I worked with Wifey and Two-Shots-Up on our actions last night in the dressing room during our downtime in rehearsal. I’m pretty excited about this assignment. So far, everyone has found some very entertaining motions to use.
The next few Movement Classes are going to be private lessons. Mine is on Tuesday, so I get the next two days off from Movement.

ACTING
It’s hard to know what to write everyday about Acting Class (and about Machinal, actually) I guess because it’s the kind of stuff that I absorb more than the stuff I take notes on. And additionally, a lot of times notes I take are ones that I’ve taken before, but that I now need to apply under different circumstances. And on days that I’m not working through my scene, it feels weird to blog about other people’s stuff…
The only notes I wrote today were:
- Listen
- Linking sentences is good, but don’t do it at the expense of punctuation
- Land

MACHINAL
Today was our “crew run-through”… which means that it’s the first time that most of our 1st-Year Crew has seen what we’re doing with the show. I saw Head of Program, Movement Professor, and Voice Professor in the audience as well.

I took a weird risk with the Matron tonight, and mocked Newbie's character. Director didn't like it.

With the Nurse, I've gone through a bunch of different iterations. Tonight, Director thought I was too empathetic, and need to get back to being more annoyed.

I got three notes from Voice Professor. One was about an inflection, and the other two were about landing operative words.

No comments: