9/26/08

Friday, September 26

My throat has been bothering me since Tuesday, so I went to the doctor. Apparently I have tonsillitis. Actually, the doctor says it looks like strep. But the first strep test came back negative, so they're sending it to the lab, and I'll find out in five days. In the meanwhile, I'm amoxicillin-ed up. Awesome. In the meanwhile, I feel nasty.


MOVEMENT
We have a new homework assignment that involves going to the beach by yourself for 2 hours, and "checking in" with yourself every 15 minutes. We have to write a paper on it. I'm not really a beach person. In fact, I've been living in a seaside town for a month and a half, and I don't even know how to get to the beach. And I'm pretty sure there are beaches all over the place here. I guess I'll drive out to the Keys on Monday. Hopefully, I'll be feeling better by then.


VOICE
We finally started discussing "s" and "z" sounds in detail. My professor demonstrated the difference between an overly-sibilant "s" (like I have) and a neutral "s" (which she has). Honestly, my ears don't understand the difference yet. I'm a little bothered by that, because usually I'm able to aurally distinguish things that other people have trouble with. *sigh*

I asked my voice professor if she knew why there weren't any videos of people tremoring online. She thinks it's because:

A. If people saw them, they'd think this method was insane.
B. People might try to do it at home without instruction, which could lead to them doing it wrong and injuring themselves.

I think the latter is probably accurate, seeing as how, under the watchful eye of an instructor, I have managed to:

- Knee myself in the face
- Bite my tongue
- Whack my head into the floor with near-concussive force
- Bruise my back

If I ever do post a video, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TREMORING WITHOUT AN INSTRUCTOR!!!


ACTING
After watching Iceman do a memory of physical action exercise ("unpacking books"), we spent the rest of class doing dialogue etudes. I'm finally starting to get comfortable with them. I worked with Two-Shots-Up, and I think we found some neat things. Really, everyone did great work yesterday. And Thrill was particularly amusing throughout the entirety of class.

I apologized to my professor for crying during class, as I felt it was unprofessional. He said, "Angela, you're an actress. You're allowed to express your emotions." I feel better now.


Thank goodness I have a few days off now. My throat could use some recovery time.
~A~

No comments: