9/11/08

Thursday, September 11

MOVEMENT
I didn't jump rope. My body is not happy at the moment, probably because I've spent the last, oh, 9 years of my life being a sedimentary rock. All the muscles near my hip sockets hurt. I thought my ankles were hurting until my movement professor grabbed my leg and pointed out that the problem is actually in my calves. I think I'm slowly falling apart.

Luckily, there were a couple of things that we did that didn't bother my body at all. Turns out, my upper body is pretty stretched out, so certain things actually hurt me LESS than other people. Which is nice. Also, my professor says that my back is a lot less deeply curved when I'm sitting, so she thinks my back issues are just alignment problems, and that they can be corrected. So that's awesome.


VOICE
So we're working on the beginnings of our consonant work still, and I'm digging it. And my voice professor made a comment that I'm great at locating menial consonant examples. I was pretty stoked by that.

I'm still having violent tremoring. I'm also having trouble with residual tremors. Like, I'll be doing something in Movement, and suddenly my leg will start shaking uncontrollably. My Voice professor says that as my body becomes more familiar with tremoring, the residuals will stop happening. But right now, it's freaky and unsettling.

Test Friday, so I have to study all the body parts that work to produce sound. Wish me luck!


ACTING
So entertaining, I can't even tell you. The other half of the class brought in their physical memory exercises (everything from tying shoes to making a pizza). Then we did some more dialogue etudes, with hilarious results. I'd try to recreate them in writing, but I don't think it'd come across properly. But I was laughing for, like, 3 minutes straight, and then kept having giggles pop up randomly for a good 10 minutes after that. It was amazing.


ANALYSIS
We discussed the differences between structure in a comedy vs. tragedy. I'm finding this class wholly frustrating. That isn't to say that I don't enjoy it; I just feel like I can't win in it. Every time I say something that I think is a decent point, it gets shot down. And every time I ask for clarification of a point, my professor answers it with either a tangent, or more questions. We have a paper due Tuesday on what the action in Oedipus is, and I am terrified that I'm going to fail it. Pray for me.


~A~