9/23/08

Tuesday, September 23

MOVEMENT
We've been doing specific breathing exercises, and have now learned "breathing one" through "breathing four". Don't ask what they are, because frankly, I keep mixing them up. We were assigned some readings, but they're not due until next week so I'm not going to read them tonight.


VOICE
Well, it turns out there are two more consonants that I'm pronouncing incorrectly: T and D. Apparently, mine are "splashy" instead of "crisp". I asked my professor why it is that every time we discuss a new consonant, I'm saying it wrong. She said that other people are, too, but that I'm the one who's willing to admit it. She also said I was good at self-diagnosis. So I guess that's good... Killer and I have an appointment with her next week to begin work on our sibilant S sounds. The class got a list of words to practice reciting tonight, but honestly, I can't say anything without judging myself anymore.


STUDENT REP MEETING
All we found out was that the understudy assignments SHOULD be posted Thursday. But that if we're really unlucky, it might not be until Thursday NIGHT. Bah!


ACTING
Two more "memory of physical action" exercises. Big Show did "repairing a bicycle tire". The Pro did "making coffee and cereal".

We started doing work with "psychological gestures". Basically, we allowed our entire bodies to do actions in the air, such as "push", "grab", "reach", "drag", and the like. At one point we were "pushing" air towards a partner. I was paired up with D-Train, and being in a sort of physical conversation with him really changed the way my body-mind was viewing the pushing. Then, without moving, we used our minds to attempt these sorts of gestures telepathically. It sounds a little strange, but it was actually really neat.


ANALYSIS
We got our Oedipus papers back. I DIDN'T FAIL!!! I didn't get an A, either, but still. I'm going to rewrite it this weekend (which we're allowed to do on this one).

We spent a long period of time discussing the possible action in Women of Troy. I think we ended up with something along the lines of "to retain dignity". Frankly, I don't understand how that's the action of the play at all. Those women spend the whole play weeping, mourning, and being anything but dignified. But I suppose "to weep" or "to mourn" would be incomplete... Oh well.

My group has a 40-minute presentation on Thursday regarding biographical information on Henrik Ibsen. I went to the library with D-Train tonight to collect information, but there's just SO MUCH to digest. Hopefully, my group will be able to get together tomorrow night to make sense of everything. Wish us luck.

No comments: