9/4/08

Thursday, September 4

In voice class today, I FOUND my tremors in a major way! As I said before, tremoring involves putting your body into certain positions that cause it to tremble. I finally had a good tremor when we tried a pelvic tremor position last week. Today, I found a tremor in EVERY POSITION I ATTEMPTED. It was SO COOL. My body literally started leaping off the ground.

My voice professor said that whereas often people will just sort of shake, my body responds with "waves of tremor", and that I shouldn't be afraid of it. My head lifted off the ground spontaneously several times, as did my feet at times. It's hard to explain what it's like, but it's awesome. I feel like I'm learning new things about my body every time we do it.


In Textual Analysis today I argued with the professor a bit, but in a healthy way, I think. He stated that everything Oedipus does within the course of the play (just what the plot covers, not the whole myth) stems from his attempts to be a good leader. I disagreed, and pointed out several examples from the text that I thought illustrated him serving his own needs, curiosity, and self-preservation as opposed to the betterment of his kingdom. My professor didn't subscribe to my theory, and said we'd discuss it more next time. *sigh*


Our tech call was canceled tonight so that the first years could attend a play. Last year, an MFA directing student cut and directed a 45-minute, 6-actor version of Romeo & Juliet. It was very well received, and so they've decided to re-mount it and tour it around to area high schools for the next two weeks. It was cut really excellently, highlighting all the vital scenes and allowing the important plot points to shine through. Of course, it's always strange to see a cut version of a play when you are familiar with the full-length text ("but... they cut Juliet's monologue! I LOVE that monologue!"), but I enjoyed what they did with it. It was a neat production.

It was nice being able to see some of the 2nd-years act, as I hadn't seen any of them perform before tonight. They did a wonderful job. It made me hopeful for my future in this program. :)


~A~

No comments: