9/3/08

Wednesday, September 3

There are so many things that I should be doing, but I just haven't had time to do. Like pick up a package from the post office that my brother sent me. Or take my car into the shop, as the "Check Engine" light has been on for a week and a half... But whenever I have free time, either it's at night (when those places are closed), or I'm so tired that I just want to go home.

I don't even mentally want to go through everything I did today...

I got to school at 8:15am so that I could practice handball exercises with "The Pro" before class. I was scheduled to be at school until 9:00pm (although I got out a little early).

Nothing earth-shattering happened in my first two classes...

At lunch, my class had our first ever "Group Therapy" session. Yes, we have group therapy. We have a meeting during lunch every two weeks with a lovely psychologist (I think that's her title) in order to be able to sort out tensions and issues within the class (either things that need to be worked out with each other, or just stress about the program). It's actually kind of a genius plan to have that built in to our first year.

We spent the first one in pairs, with each person telling a partner a story about an event that shaped the person they've become. Then we rejoined the group, and the listener shared the story with everyone. It was sort of great, as it gave us more insight into each other. I really enjoyed it. I'm anxious to see where these sessions go from here.


In Acting, we were supposed to imagine what it is to eat an apple. Every sense that you use, every motion you go through... And then we were supposed to eat an imaginary apple, envisioning as much as we could about it, and trying to eat it realistically.

After we had finished our imaginary apples, our professor brought out a bag filled with an assortment of apples, and asked us to each take one. We then ate the apples, noticing the differences between what we had done in the exercise, and what it was like to eat an actual corporeal fruit.

Once we had all finished our apples -- surprise! -- we had to mime imaginary apples once more.

I have to say, of the three apples I "ate" today, the first one was by far the most delicious.


Half of my class was called in to do tech tonight. Boring stuff, actually. Like sorting hardwear, peeling tape off of floors and re-laying it, and moving large pieces of plywood. But it did give me an opportunity to hang out with "Big Show", "D-Train", "Iceman", "Wifey", and "Two Shots Up", which was nice. While sorting hardware, the boys and I started telling jokes, and turned it into something more entertaining than it should have been.


When I got home, the last thing I wanted to do was my homework for tomorrow. I've done most of it (I still have a little reading left to do, and my only hypothesis on Oedipus' first decision is "he decides to make his business public", but I think that's wrong...).

I think I'm going to bring my handballs to school early tomorrow and hope someone wants to play catch with me. I'm getting better at catching, but I have horrible aim when throwing. Wish me luck.

~A~

1 comment:

A Quiet Man with a Loud Voice said...

I wanna be in grad school... dammit.

Anyways -- as far as your musing on Oedipus goes (since I am a big fan of the Greeks) -- a thought for you to ponder.

The ancient Greeks believed that a man's fate was preordained, that there was no escaping it. This is evidenced in the Oracle's divining of the fate of Oedipus and his family. So it wasn't really Oedipus making the choices that led him on his path, it was the decree of the gods. His choices weren't his own, they were choices that HAD to be made, he had no choice but to shoulder the figurative 'harness of necessity'.

(I don't think I used that phrase right, but what the hell..).