4/1/10

Thursday, April 1

I came in to class today with my hair dyed to have pink and purple streaks. And with bangs.


It was an April Fool's Day prank, of course. (Man, the theatre would have my hide if I did that to my hair! Especially without permission!) I didn't take my hair out until Acting class. So that was fun.


VOICE
We started talking through our scenes. And guess what? I'm not doing NEARLY as badly as I thought I would! Irish is getting a little more intuitive, although it's still not easy. I'm encouraged by this. Which is good, because Voice Professor has decided to move up our exam by a few days.


MOVEMENT
As a side note... On Tuesday, we jumped rope for the first time in AGES, and I felt like I was in the zone. Five minutes of jumping rope barefoot, and I never once tripped or hit myself with the rope. I felt awesome. And five minutes? Didn't feel that bad. But now? My legs are killing me for it. So instead of jumping rope, I did the Daily Dozen alignment exercises.

We had a long discussion on the origins of Commedia, and what we're going to do with it.

Movement Professor says that there are three different forms of comedy: comedy of incongruity, comedy of meanness, and comedy of wit. Commedia is primarily comedy of incongruity (look! a car in the tree!), rarely comedy of meanness (mostly just Brighella), and never comedy of wit.

And we also talked for a while about London. Oh my word, we're going to London!!! AHHH!!!! May 5th cannot come soon enough. (Although that being said, I sure have a lot to do before we go!)


ACTING
D-Train and I did our All's Well That Ends Well scene. Acting Professoressa didn't seem to love it our first time through, when we stuck close to the blocking that we'd done the previous time we'd worked. D-Train suggested that we do it as an etude, and not worry about any of the blocking. When we did, it was SO much more free and real, and so much easier to play the scene. But as a result, Acting Professoressa said that some of the stage pictures were bad, and some of the physical story-telling was being lost. So we're going to have to work to combine the two.

Other notes I got:
- in Diana's final monologue, be less knowing
- more men-vs.-women mentality
- justify behavior to the audience
- keep it fresh
- Diana is not a b****, and she wants the audience to know that
- Point-of-View on Bertram cannot be "You stupid jerk"

2 comments:

S. said...

LOL, that's an awesome prank. One of the first years once cut her hair because she did not know and she got into sooo much trouble for it. Here is a April Fools Prank from BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_8598000/8598291.stm

S. said...

sorry, that was not the whole link, here it is:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_8598000/8598291.stm